John Wick (2014) – 4/10
Where to begin? Perhaps with the, um, not so positives:
- Flashback several days follows opening scene. Cliché!
- John Wick (Keanu Reeves) . . . oh. John is the man the Russian Mafia calls to eliminate the ‘Boogeymen’ (imagine graphic comic book font here).
- Russian Mafia Leader’s son decides to steal John’s car? Doesn’t recognise John cause he’s been out of the biz for about 5 years . . . oh.
- John, once the top assassin, is taken by surprise.
- Cutest little puppy in the world. How could they!
- Ms Perkin’s demise. A strange and potentially dangerous formation by the killers.
- Luckily John ends up at the docks right next to a veterinary warehouse complete with first aid supplies and caged puppies? Could have picked a cuter puppy.
Ok, now the not so negatives:
- The aerial shots.
- John is pretty kick-ass, most of the time. Keanu, while not the most versatile actor, seems suited for the reticent, singleminded role.
- Perfunctory dismissals.
- The Continental Hotel, its owner and employees.
- . . . oh.